I attended the first half of the Babson College Energy and Environment Conference today. Here are a few of my notes.
Kathryn C. Brown – Senior Vice President – Public Policy Development and Corporate Responsibility, Verizon
- I agree with the earlier speaker that nuclear is off the table for a new energy source for the U.S. Who would have thought of this 2 years ago.
- Momentum for climate change is clearly bruised. Coal is on the rise after the nuclear problems in Japan and the oil spill in the Gulf. Incentives for renewables is at a low.
- Recommends Michael Porter's recent article: Creating Shared Value
Sheeraz Haji, CEO of Cleantech Group
- China accounted for 2/3 of the clean tech IPOs (63/93)
- Cleantech investing has returned as of Q1 2011, with solar leading the way.
- Recent IPO winners are Amyris where Kliener and other investors made 8x money
- He sees value in add data services to unused assets (cars, buildings). RelayRides is example of using data services to monetize unused car time.